Sopa de Platano (Plantain Soup)Serves: 8
- 6 cups beef stock
- 4 green plantains (peeled & cut into chunks)
- 2 medium potatoes (pared & quartered)
- 1 large onion (peeled & quartered)
- 1 large green pepper (cored, seeded & quartered)
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon powdered cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried leaf oregano (crushed)
- In a large deep pot, combine all ingredients, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat for 10 minutes. (You can substitute 2 tablespoons of our Mezcla de Especias – page xx for the dry spices in this recipe, if you wish).
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook slowly for another 30 minutes or until all of the vegetables are soft and tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Ladle the cooked vegetables and broth into the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Pour the soup into serving bowls and garnish with a tostone.