Platanos Maduros Frito (Fried Sweet Plantains)
- 4 large ripe plantains
- vegetable oil for frying
- Peel the plantains and slice each diagonally into about a dozen ¾” wide slices.
- In a deep fryer or a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 to 3 inches of oil to 350° or until a plantain slice sizzles when it hits the oil.
- Carefully drop a small batch of the plantain slices (6-8 pieces) and fry about 2 minutes on each side or until plantain is soft and dark golden brown.
- Drain on a paper-towel lined platter.
- Serve immediately, or spread the plantains on a cookie sheet and keep them in a warm oven (about 200°) until ready to serve.
Oven roasted sweet plantains — At step 2, place the plantain slices in a large plastic bag and toss them with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Spread the plantains in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet and bake in a 350° oven for 15 minutes or until tender and brown, turning about halfway through cooking time.
HELPFUL HINT: If you should find that your plantains are not quite ripe enough when you want to make them, you can improve their flavor by adding a little sugar. Peel and slice the plantains as above, then transfer them to a medium-size bowl. Add 2 tablespoons brown sugar, mix thoroughly and set them aside until you are ready to fry or bake them.