Fufu, also known as mofongo, is a delicious accompaniment to any hearty meat or fish dish.
- 3 large semi-ripe plantains (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 quart water
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Black pepper
- 1 recipe mojo criollo
- In a large, deep pot combine the plantains, water, garlic and spices and bring to a boil over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook slowly for another 30 minutes or until plantains are soft.
- Remove from heat and drain the water.
- With a potato masher, coarsely mash the plantain mixture
- Drizzle one half of the mojo criollo over the mashed plantains and stir to mix.
- Reserve the remaining mojo criollo and serve in a sauce boat alongside the fufu.